Building Families First Community Organization
More specifically, BFFCO provides permanent, safe, affordable housing to families who are in the "Transitional Stage" of their journey to becoming self-sufficient, which is a milestone.
It is reached after the family has participated in the Keys to Transformation Program.
By supporting the efforts of BFFCO, local business,corporations, and organizations connect with the community whose support is critical to their success BFFCO partners:
- Gain greater access to targeted populations.
- Improve the economic health and vitality of the community.
- Help train a potential labor force with skills that meet the evolving needs of area employers.
- Strengthen community relations and meet their philanthropic commitments.
- Increase awareness of their organizations within the community.
We’re committed to advancing a more diverse and inclusive society by expanding opportunities and supporting equitable solutions that will enable low-income communities to grow and prosper.
We recognize that while conditions have improved over the past several years, there are many individuals facing barriers to economic success, including youth, working families, and the formerly incarcerated.
Too many individuals living on the margins are limited by their zip code and unable to create a better life for themselves and their families through good jobs or affordable housing.
Buying a home may be easier than you think if you are low- and moderate-income, we provide quality, affordable homes. We do this by purchasing existing homes throughout Michigan, rehabilitating the homes and marketing them to homebuyers.
Program benefits and description:
•Homes are 100% move-in ready, up-to-date, and energy efficient •Purchase price of home is the appraised value. •If approved, each homebuyer receives homebuyer assistance, based on their personal financial situation. •Homebuyer assistance will make the home more affordable by reducing the mortgage and/or closing costs. •Homebuyers should have the recommend minimum of 1% of the home’s purchase price available in personal funds at time of closing.
Who is eligible?
You may be eligible if you meet the following criteria:
1.Maximum household income is no greater than 80% Area Median Income (see table below). Family SizeIncome (minimum)Income (maximum)
- 1 person$23,450 to $37,520
- 2 people$26,800 to $42,880
- 3 people$30,150 to $48,240
- 4 people$33,450 to $53,520
- 5 people$36,150 to $57,840
- 6 people$38,850 to $62,160
2.Pre-approval letter from a lender of your choice.
- It is recommended that you have a middle credit score of at least 620 from your tri-merge credit report.
Note: If you are finding it difficult to secure a pre-approval, we can connect you with financial institutions we have worked with previously.
- Maximum household income is no greater than 80% Area Median Income
- Have a down payment of roughly $1,500 at closing.
- Note: This is a rough estimate.
- No bankruptcies or foreclosure within the last two years.
- Complete the MSHDA or HUD approved Homebuyer Education class
Steps to Homeownership
- Determine if your income fits within our program limits (reference table above)
- Determine if the homes available are right for your family size. Most of our homes are 2-3 bedrooms, 900-1200 square feet, one-story ranches), with the assumption that no more than two people will be in each bedroom.
- Take the Homebuyer and Homeownership workshop
- Get pre-approved for a loan from a referred lender
- Gather all required documents for the application process (NOTE: documents are only good for six months, so do not gather required documents until you are ready to apply)
How can I access this service?
If you are interested in applying for this program, please contact us to get started 734-743-1351 / Detroit 313-473-7583 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Good for the Neighborhood
11800 Merriman #510135
Livonia MI 48151
2nd Chance Ministries
2535 Michigan Ave.
Detroit Mi 48216
Lease to Purchase
BFFCO assists families with transferring their government rental subsidy into homeownership. This program allows a family to purchase a home after leasing for 4 years. The family must be enrolled in BFFCO Keys to Transformation Program (KTT), the Lease to Purchase provides pre/post purchase counseling and additional guidance throughout the homeownership process to ensure success.
A lease to own agreement means you don’t need a large deposit to secure a home - your regular rent includes a portion that progressively turns into a down payment. This means you can skip costly mortgage insurance while getting to know your neighborhood. The whole process also builds on your history of savings and payments, improving your credit rating and your chances of later qualifying for a conventional mortgage.
Who is eligible?
- You maintain earned income of at least $15,000 and be working at least 30 hours per week. (exceptions for elderly or disabled persons).
- Be receiving rental subsidy
- Be a first time homeowner or have not owned a home in the last 3 years.
- Be in good standing with the Keys to Transformation program.